King Louis the Eleventh was the King of France about 500 years ago.
One day a young man said to the king, “I can see the future”. This was not true, but the king believed him. The young man was pleased and he hoped to get an important job. But King Louis thought,
“This man knows the future, so he knows more than I know. He is dangerous and I must kill him.”
The king said to his servants, “I’m going to invite that man to have dinner with me. When he comes, watch my hand. When I lift up my hand, throw him out of the window.”
That evening the young man came to the king’s private room. The king had a smile on his face, but it was not a friendly smile. He said to the man,
“You know the future, so tell me your future. When are you going to die?”
The young man understood his mistake. He thought quickly before he answered the king’s question.
“I am going to die three days before you,” he said.
The king stopped smiling. The servants watched the king’s hand, but it did not move. The young man was safe; but he never told another lie after that.
6. King Louis the Eleventh was the King of France about five centuries ago.
7. One day a young man said that he could predict the future.
8. The king was happy to have a servant who knew more than the king.
9. The king invited the young man to have breakfast with him.
10. During their meeting the king changed his mind.